This is an active lighthouse located on the Ornsay tidal isle in the Isle of Skye in the Inner Hebrides. It was built in 1857 on project by Thomas and David Stevenson; it is a masonry tower with gallery, lantern and keeper's house. It entered in service on 10 November 1857. The lighthouse is equipped with a battery backup for fourteen days to keep working the emergency light; it was modernised in 1988 when mains power was installed. The lighthouse emits a white occulting light every 8 seconds and was automated in 1962.